Sunday, April 15, 2018

Itai Itai disease

In my environmental science class, we have learned about fresh water. And I started to wonder what happens if you don't drink fresh water. There are a lot of consequences if you don't drink fresh water, but I have found out quite disgusting thing when I started to research about it. Of course, if you drink non fresh water, it would damage your health. What if you don't drink fresh water in Japan when Japan was destroyed by nuclear bomb? Therefore, I started to research about it. This is what I found when I research about the consequences if too much metal accumulates in the body. There are Japanese patient who are afflicted with the "Itai -Itai" disease, which literally translates into 'it hurts- it hurts' disease. This disease was caused by consuming too much cadmium. This disease disrupts the metabolic activities regarding calcium, which weakens bones enough to turn people into the man.

This was caused by industrial waste leaking into the waters unchecked, which were then used for drinking or agriculture. This is very similar to what we are doing to the fishes in the aquatic environment that I mentioned in the previous blog post. After this, I gained a fear that I might be developing health problems from consuming too much fish as well. From this research, I learned that if we abuse the environment, eventually it will bring consequences to us. There we should keep environment safe.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/itai-itai-disease

No comments:

Post a Comment