Sunday, October 15, 2017

Where is our fresh water?

Today in my environmental science class, we learned about fresh water that are in Earth. Most people believe that most of our fresh water is located in groundwater, however, our fresh water is located in icecaps and glaciers that are so large. I was wondering why is groundwater not fresh water. Therefore, I have researched about this topic so that I can understand why is groundwater not the freshest water.

According to my research, groundwater is rain and melting snow which sinked into the ground and most of it trickles down through the ground and collects as groundwater. Also, I have found out that groundwater accounts for less than 1 percent of all the water on Earth. Even though, people are able to drink the groundwater, there are more fresh water than groundwater. Most of the fresh water is locked up in icecaps and glaciers. The rest of Earth's fresh water is found in lakes, rivers, wetlands, the soil, rock layers below the surface, and in the atmosphere.

After doing this research, I concluded my idea that icecaps and glaciers have much fresher water. I felt happy because I learned that there are more fresh water than I thought. We can conclude that there are clean water.


https://water.usgs.gov/edu/earthglacier.html
http://www.groundwater.org/get-informed/basics/groundwater.html


No comments:

Post a Comment